Sample API Requirements
The below is a set of requirements that can be applied to a new API project.
- REST Inspired (a.k.a. Not SOAP)
- Use api.data.gov.
- Create an endpoint that can scale to all future agency use (e.g. https://api.agency.gov/name_of_this_api). If this already exists, design to be in sync with it to the same end.
- Allow key-less access to the API so developers can quickly begin looking at the returns.
- HTML - No Word documents or PDFs
- Interactive Documentation
- Fork and repurpose CFPB’s API documentation for this API’s documentation.
- Include a beta testing phase.
- Conduct an API Usability session during the pre-production phase.
- Create a public repository in the agency’s GitHub account that will be used for managing the project, including:
- Project Roadmap
- Issue Tracker used by staff for development of the API as well as for bug-reporting and other engagement with external users.
- In the design phase, publish the api design as well as draft documentation in this GitHub repository and ask for public feedback.
- Allow bulk download of the underlying dataset.
- Ensure clear, informative errors.
- Obey HTTP rules.
- Don’t make up custom terms and variables.
- Adopt this model terms of service.
- Plan to dogfood this API.
- Include or plan for Write access.
- Apply each of the 18F API Standards.